Announcements & Notifications
For the project: Conjuring the City
Organization: Jersey Art Exchange
When: Saturday, October 13 & 14, 2017 - During weekend of Jersey City Art Studio Tours
Where: Jersey Art Exchange, 114 Monticello Avenue, Jersey City
Deadline to apply: September 20th, 2017
Jacqueline Arias artist and director is looking for performers and dancers with interest in experimentation and stamina for endurance for her upcoming project Conjuring the City
About the project: Jacqueline is a photographer, video artist, and filmmaker born in Costa Rica and raised in Ohio. This varied geographical and cultural history has inspired a body of work that addresses ideas of heritage, race, and socially constructed identities. She studied photography at Parsons School of Design experimenting with video art and performance work. Her performance and video work addresses the invisible social barriers in our society and the feelings of cultural detachment they cause. Jacqueline’s work: Plants / The Imbrication
With Conjuring the City, Jacqueline wants to explore ways of representing the body as it moves through the streets and spaces of Monticello Ave and the Jackson Hill Area. Jacqueline will be experimenting with the visual storytelling possibilities of 360 video.
What we are looking for: Jacqueline is looking for 8 - 10 performers to take part in a improvisational video and live performance. Open minded people, able to improvise, able to perform an endurance piece, able to visualize and project their body in space, that can move from the inside out, attentive to details and can make the invisible movements appear.
Ages: 16+, no gender or dance background restriction. Urban, ballet, modern, musical, mime, physical theatre, actor, model …
Send a short motivation email, with contact info, and a picture. Resume & portfolio/video, if you have one, before September 20th to email@example.com
The workshop/practice will take place the weekend of September 23rd & September 30th and a run-through will take place the week of October 10th.
Please try to make your artist matches by Sunday, August 27. If your space is empty…you need artists! If your concept could use a few artists to round out the story…get in some more artists!
VENUES & CURATORS
1. Log into www.thejcast.com. Go to the artist pool and peruse the artists who are swimming in there hoping to be hooked into a venue. (You can sort by media, FYI.)
2. Email the artist (through the site), tell them which piece you are interested in, and give them your VENUE CODE or CONCEPT CODE. This is located on your venue/concept page on the dashboard.
3. The artist must insert the code into the last field on their artwork page and press “SAVE.”
4. This will successfully link to the artwork to your venue/concept and take that artwork out of the pool.
NOTE: If you are hosting special events during the JCAST weekend, e.g. musical performances, art battles, lectures, readings, screenings, etc. PLEASE EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org THE TIMES AND DAYS so that we can get this up on the JCAST schedule.
Still looking for a venue? Here are a few options:
• Pound the pavement! There are TONS of restaurants, real estate agencies, empty store fronts, church halls, retailers, the list goes on…out there in JC! Walk in, introduce yourself and smooth-talk them into hanging your art up for JCAST. Let them know that this is a city-wide event put on BY the city…and if they’re not in, they’re going to miss out on the added foot traffic the weekend of the event. You can add them as a venue on your own JCAST profile.
• Get some language in the JCAST overview paragraph below.
• Open your OWN home studio as a venue! Simply log into your JCAST account, click on “venue” and register your own space. Simply insert the venue code into your artwork and whammo, you’re a JCAST VENUE!
• Or check out some of these spaces that are looking for artwork (click on the purple circles for more info): https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1YehvkD9m-6GWVK8vO4ZhWJaP-3k&ll=40.72414836210142%2C-74.06343885000001&z=13
IMPORTANT PROMOTIONAL NOTE
If you are going to be printing postcards or business cards to promote your business, show, event, etc….print some extra and we can distribute them at the opening night extravaganza and select JCAST information centers around the city. Quantity: ~250. These must be delivered to the Office of Cultural Affairs by Monday, October 2, 2017.
The Jersey City Art & Studio Tour (JCAST) spotlights the City’s diverse and burgeoning artistic community with an exciting weekend event featuring hundreds of artists from every neighborhood across Jersey City, the second largest city in New Jersey. This year marks the 27th annual JCAST, taking place October 14 and 15, 12-6 PM. The kick-off event is taking place Friday, October
Thousands of visitors from the tri-state area tour private studios, galleries, local businesses, public art and pop-up spaces. Artists are provided the opportunity to introduce their work to the community, make connections, and sell their art to the public. Participating venues and business benefit from increased traffic and visibility from people who live in the neighborhood, as well as exposure to residents who live in other parts of the city.
JCAST is part of the City of Jersey City’s commitment to continued arts programming for its citizens under Mayor Steven M. Fulop’s vision for further developing Jersey City as an artistic and cultural center.
We are HERE to help…so hit us with questions or concerns.
All the best. ART ON!
Be sure to create your accounts, submit artwork, your venue or curatorial concept ASAP! If you’re connected to a venue or concept, get those venue/concept codes into your art forms. Questions? Email email@example.com.
Calling All Artists, Venues, and Curators for #JCAST2017!
Be a part of the 27th annual Jersey City Art & Studio Tour, a city-wide event that celebrates the talent and creative prowess of our residents.
Registration deadline: August 14, 2017 | #JCAST2017 Weekend: October 14 & 15, 2017, 12-6 PM | Kick-off event: October 13 (location & time TBD) | Closing Party: October 15, 2017 (location & time TBD)
Need help registering or navigating the site? Download this super helpful presentation! Feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are stuck.
The Jersey City Art & Studio Tour is right around the corner. On October 14 and 15, 2017, we invite artists to open their studios to the public, curators to present innovative concepts, and venues to showcase eye-popping exhibits. #JCAST2017 is all about getting people into neighborhoods to see and buy amazing Jersey City art.Presented by Mayor Steven Fulop, the Jersey City Municipal Council and the Office of Cultural Affairs.